Thursday, December 19, 2019

Rant about the Expression of Emotion

I am mistrustful of men who want to denigrate the expression of emotion as garbage or as something reserved for "neurotic females." That sort of contention is prejudicial, not to mention stupid and out of date. It's a bullying puffery long practiced by fraternal macho-men who are actually afraid, deep inside, of their own masculinity.

A gay friend told me that men who hide behind their tough Marlboro Man façade's, are actually the emotional sissies they want to condemn. Maybe even bigger sissies.

Which leads me to the containment or release of emotions related to pain. I've tried not to be "poor me" in describing my travails with a bad back. But I can sure as hell write about the experience, feelings included, without shame.

In my experience so far, pain leads a person on a similar path as the 5 stages of grief. Denial then Anger then Bargaining followed by Depression (I think I am drifting between numbers 2 and 4) and finally Acceptance.

Each stage has its associated emotions and agony. To say there are none, or to believe that a guy can or should go through pain without feelings, is a type of blindness. It is similar to the total unawareness and phony armor assumed by too many folks these days.

To not admit to one's heart and feelings is a form of cowardice.

No comments:

Post a Comment