Sunday, December 22, 2019

Bad Drug?: Gabapentin

So I was wary from the get-go when I read it was a drug for epileptic seizures, as well as for restless legs, cramping, and apparently (so they said) neuropathy pain associated with a disk pinching a nerve.

It has a substantial downer effect. Subtle and dulling, like digesting a time-release barbiturate. Maybe there's a dash of mood modulator thrown in.  The pill's induced calm is supposed to be helpful with the yips and spasms that come with a herniated disk. Fact is, the pill hasn't been outwardly helpful to me. I feel a dull headache.

With it I sometimes feel like El Estúpido.

I was alarmed by the very recent FDA report condemning gabapentin.  To be on the safe side, it looks like dosage reduction might be advisable until the time comes when there's no more of that stuff in my system. Then again, if I find I need it I may continue taking it...well, the jury is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment