Thursday, January 9, 2020

A Week Later: Juggling Possibilities

The second round of steroid injections seems to be doing better, at least in helping to ease the back pain itself.  No spasms or across-the-board meltdowns of lumbar pain. No major lockups.

This leaves the radiating sciatic pain into my hip and leg, which is still there, largely unchanged. It means the nerve is still pinched or trapped. I suppose anyway. Which equates to more hobbling around on the cane, or grin-and-bear-it attempts to walk without it.

I have the option of only one more round of injections, if I choose to take it.  This would take me out a few more uncertain weeks.

The Pain Doc reminds me that the steroid shots assist and accelerate healing. Key word is assist. The body does the rest.

A neurosurgeon has offered some clarity and a possible path of escape. My willingness to have surgery is on the uptrend. After all these weeks, exceeding the average time of such an ailment, I am impatient. I'm afraid of permanent damage. I have enough appetite for risk to consider a discectomy.   Two or three weeks recovery from surgery might beat an infinite number of weeks suffering without any progress. Then what if surgery is a flop?

Gotta think about it. And press ahead on the current road. Patience, they keep saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment